Tender CHALLENGES / Cascais
Cascais holds a priceless natural wealth, from the coast to the natural park, passing through the streams. Aiming to enhance and maintain it, the City Hall develops innovative and sustainable projects and initiatives, while seeking to respond to environmental challenges and the preservation of the planet.
The waste produced in Cascais is managed by the municipal company EMAC – Cascais Ambiente. Its mission is to contribute to the sustainable development of the area and improve the quality of life of its residents and visitors, assuming itself as a reference in the community. Through integrated action and intelligent management of resources, we aim to achieve the goals and fulfil the commitments made by the Municipality to adapt to climate change, moving towards carbon neutrality.
Cascais is looking for a socio-technical systems based on smart combinations of software (such as apps) and hardware (such as IoT sensors) that promote sustainable consumption and help improve waste differentiation in households, thus increasing the quality of the waste collected from them and the performance of selective waste collection processes. In this way Cascais aims to create new waste streams for textiles, with the potential to fuel circular and innovative environmental actions.
Information on the location of the experimentation
- Solutions that promote datasets creation, including data acquisition by IoT sensors and the collection of real time waste data
- Solutions that allow relevant data visualisations, both for remote monitoring purposes and to improve decision making
- Solutions that integrate created datasets and embed visualisation functions in a single tool;
- Solutions that embed gamification and/or educational aspects, such as general or specific advice on how to improve waste selection, understand data visualisations, etc.
- Solutions that are promptly available as applications (for smartphones and tablet PCs, on Android and/or IOS operating systems).
It can be useful for the participants to read the results of the characterisation and diagnosis study of domestic textile waste in the municipality of Cascais, which is available at this link:
The following datasets should be generated by the innovative solutions:
- Data on textile waste collection and separation – amount of textile waste collected and separated in tonnes, updated monthly.
- Data on location of bins collection points and how full they are – geographical location of all textile collection bins and the capacity of the bins (tonnes), in real time.
- Data on textiles by second-hand shops, charities, and other entities – quantity of textiles received by these entities (tonne), updated monthly.
- Data on traceability of clothes and their destination – geographic location of donated batches of clothes in order to know their final destination.
To participate to the tender, please read our tender documentation, this page is a simple overview about the Cascais challenge. To visit the documentation, click on the green button below.